Monday 6 September 2010

Dança para Loucura de Ofélia (Dancing for Ophelia's Madness)



I have been invited by the CESh (The Shakespearean Studies Centre of Minas Gerais) to create a performance from Ophelia's madness scene to be presented at an anual event called Shakespeare's Day. 


I always thought that Ophelia was a silly girl and, until that time, that she wasn't part of the shakespearean female heroins team. 


I was passing through bad moments in my personal life and to develop this performance made me fall in love with Ophelia and I forgave her to have been so silly. I will explain why.


Developing the performance with my director, Marcos Vogel, I realized that, in fact, Ophelia's madness and her death saved Ophelia from her stupidness. They made her brilliant. 


She found out the truth and her strength from madness. She found herself as a woman, daughter and lover. She has fallen from the willow and let herself down to deep of the river whose rapids maybe would conducted her to her revival. She was going deeper seeking the truth, her dreams and peace. Death. 


I realized that Ophelia is a myth and to represent her madness has cured me. Holding hands with her, she became a sort of metaphor for all my artistic work I have been developed since then.

















No comments:

Post a Comment